Thursday 24 June 2010

Review: Lush Mint Julips Lip Scrub

The Low Down
I believe I purchased Lush's Mint Julips Lip scrub around last Christmas time when they first arrived in store.   At the time it was a purchase I didn't think much about and I had no other experiences with 'lip scrubs' but I couldn't help but wonder how this would differ from any other scrub.  Nonetheless I picked up this small, heavy jar and hoped for the best.  I've been using it from time to time and usually in the bathroom.  I find it hard to just apply throughout the day as some others have been doing because of the consistency (we shall get back to that later).

DSC09393DSC09390

The scrub smells like mint-chocolate chip which I think was a smart move considering this is something that could easily be ingested accidently (or on purpose as I've heard as well!).  It gives a soothing tingle to lips and so when I use it I always feel quite refreshing.  A few friends I know have also been testing it out, right now, the verdicts from many are still undecided. 

This jar gives you 25g of product and contains castor sugar, jojoba oil, vanilla extract, tagetes oil, peppermint oil and limonene. 

And what do they claim?
"Our fabulous lip scrubs are here to keep your kissers sweet. When you use Mint Julips, you'll find yourself craving a bowl of mint-chocolate chip ice cream. It's made with refreshing peppermint oil, which will make your lips feel soothed and tingly, and sweet vanilla extract to lock in moisture and protect your lips. Simply rub it over your lips when they're feeling the need for some sugar".

                                                                                                                      - Lush.co.uk

How did it work for Cherry?
When I first opened it, it really did look like a small jar with sugar.  It's of a brownish colour and the first thing, besides the consistency, that I remember was the great mint-chocolate chip smell.  When it came to using it I found it incredibly grainy as I couldn't pick up anything on my finger. It proceeded to drop everywhere so what I had to do was drop a tiny drop of olive oil into it.  Since then the consistency has been perfect and it didn't dissolve the sugar. 

I've been using this product for a long while now and overall I'm pleased.  I love how smooth it makes my lips and the tingly sensation it gives.  It's comforting and uplifting smell is pleasing as well.  The only thing is is that this is EASILY replicable at home and does not need to be bought from a store.  A simple mix of sugar, peppermint oil and a few drops of olive or jojoba oil is enough.  You can use straight sugar and oil if you really wanted to.  So why pay for a product like this?  Probably because you're either too lazy or you don't have sugar in your house - but that's unlikely.

Since I've got to the bottom of the jar the oil has remained at the bottom so the consistency has become more liquid-like but the grains are still there and usable.  It has not yet gone rancid which is always good to know!

How can you use this product?
I find that I use this about once a week and I only take a small amount.  I usually use this in the shower and I try not to get any water in it.  It scrubs well and eventually due to the moisture in the shower it dissolves into my lips and skin.  I think the added olive oil also makes it even more moisturising so that is a bonus.  Also because I sometimes get dry skin around my nose and on certain patches on my skin it needs some light exfoliation just to smooth it out.  This scrub is good for a quick scrub on small areas as well.

How much will it cost me?
In the UK this is £4.50 - pretty pricey for what is ultimately sugar and oil.

Cherry’s Final Verdict
What I do like is the smell and that it's made my lips smooth every time.  It's given me a quick reminder that lips need love and care too and sometimes lip balms cannot solve flaky lips on their own.  However once this is used up I shall use it to contain my own lip scrub which will cost a fraction of the price.  It's not that I don't love it, it's just I love my money more!

Furthermore I've been hearing that people have been rubbing this on their lips and then licking it up?  I know that it's from Lush and it's 'natural' but I think even that pushes it for me.  Do you really want to be eating your dead lip skin for fun?  I'm not sure I would but I guess it's each to their own.

I give this product a good 4/5; it loses a point for the price.

4

Peace,

Cherry x

No comments:

Quick Search Cherry's Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails